Karnataka to recover losses from accused Bengaluru rioters

GUJRAT: The Karnataka government, under Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa has decided to approach the Karnataka High Court to set up a committee that will assess the damages done to public and private property during the riots on August 10 and 11.

The riots had been instigated by a ‘defamatory post’ by a relative of a Congress MLA in the DJ Halli and KG Halli police station limits. This left 3 people dead with hundreds injured.

A meeting chaired by CM Yeddiurappa, state home minister Basvaraj Bommai and other top police officials decided to take stringent action against the perpetrators by applying the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA).

Karnataka state home minister, while addressing the media after the meeting, said that the Karnataka government has appointed 3 special public prosecturers for this case. A Special Investigation Team (SIT) is being formed to assess the damages caused by the rioters. Simultaneously, the police will investigate whether the rioters had any association against terrorist or extremist organizations.

Till date, the Bengaluru police have arrested about 370 people for the riots and are assessing their call records.

A senior police official said, “We are continuing to investigate the matter and there might be more arrests as we unearth new evidence.”        

Leave a Comment