Now a days, data storage media such as pen drives, memory cards, hard drives became most useful think to carry our digital data from one place to another. The removable drives are also much useful in backing up or/and transferring the data from either desktop to laptop or any electronic device.
There are plenty of online shops (eCommerce businesses) on the market that sale cheap accessories and peripherals like flash drives, memory cards, external hard drives, etc. But what about the guarantee of quality of that product? Are these USB devices are original?
Well, when the demands are high, there are chances to delivered a fake or duplicate product. There are so many markets in Delhi, India where sellers sale fake pen drives like in Chor Bazaar at Old Lal Quila, Palika market at Connaught Place, Gaffar market at Karol Bagh.
So it’s extremely important to identify a pen drive or memory card whether it’s original or duplicate/fake. About 70% of USB removal disks are duplicate which sold in local markets.
We are advising you to not buy any product from unauthorized shops or a person. Always ask seller to provide the original invoice with TIN (sales tax identification number) number.
Check If a Pen Drive, Memory Card or USB Hard Drive is Fake or Original
Well below I’m going to let you know that how you can check or recognize a fake or duplicate flash drive using a small utility app.
Follow step by step process to quickly test a pen drive or memory card.
- Download H2testw.zip file and extract or unpack the file to your desired location or desktop, you will get a file – H2testw.exe
- Run the file by double click on H2testw to start the application.
- Select the English language, and then click on select target. Now either choose your memory card or pen drive and make sure that your pen drive is formatted before checking via H2testw.
- Remember to select – Data Volume “all available space“.
- Now simply click on Write + Verify and wait until the process completion. It may take some time as per your pen drive or memory card size.
Also see: Disable USB Ports in Windows Computer.
When it finished verifying, it will show a messages which is something like complete without any errors (it means H2testw was unable to find any error and the pen drive or memory card is genuine). If H2testw find any error, then your pen drive / memory card is duplicate or fake or it has some issue.